As most of you know, Elle was born a breech baby, and because of that the doctors have been keeping a close eye on her hip development since birth. Lots of times, breech baby can have an underdeveloped hip. Unfortunately, Elle was one of those cases with a slightly underdeveloped hip. After a couple of ultrasounds and x-rays the doctor thought it best to put her in a harness for six weeks to correct the problem. It has a 90% chance of improving her hips and at our 2 week check up last week, he said it looked fantastic, which is great news! So hopefully we only have 4 more weeks in it.
Even though this problem is not a big deal, it was still hard for us as parents to see our little girl in this state. I have quickly learned that as a parent making decisions for your child is hard. Elle is still so small that she'll never remember this happening to her, and her life will not be affected at all by this 6 weeks. But it got me thinking about her future and the decisions we may have to make that will affect her and she will remember those. I guess when those come, we will have to trust that God will help us do what's best and that she will understand that. Parenting definitely isn't easy, but each time I look at her, I think about what a blessing it is!
What a beautiful child. I can hardly wait to get to see her again. Am not sure just when that might be. We thought about stopping on our way home from Florida, but with the BIG STORM we decided to take the shortest route and beat the storm. Since then, of course, we've had two more storms, including today. Maybe we will get down the last week in March if you don't have any plans. I have a meeting on Charlottesville on the 25-26 of March, and then we may be able to head your way - if Grandpa is feeling okay and the weather is better. Keep the pictures and blog coming!!
ReplyDeleteGrandma
So glad t0 hear that Elle is responding well to the braces. I know how much it sucks to see your little one facing a challenge. You guys are fabulous parents - Elle is very blessed! Talk to you later! Love you :-)
ReplyDelete